Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Week 9. Thing 22. Downloadable Audiobooks.

Thing 22. Downloadable Audiobooks.
This was a fun discovery time for me. I had not previously downloaded books. I liked the Overdrive website, but am still waiting for them to send me an email to tell me I can download the book I chose. This had no holds on it so I expected to get it straight away - perhaps it takes time to get the emails. I did download a book from NetLibrary. It was a relatively straightforward procedure although it didn't download on the first attempt. I had some help from Annette there. I can really see the fun in having books on an MP3 player. If one were ill & not able to read, or just tired or have headache or something where it is easier to listen than read, it would be a big help. I can see the use of this on the beach or while on the treadmill, or in many other situations. I thought the selection of titles in the two systems was good, and I am sure they are still expanding. I did like the Project Gutenburg site and thought that it would be useful for more classic or unusual reading material. World ebook Fair was good if you get the free month subscription, but I doubt I would pay the fee.
I downloaded 44 Scotland Street by Alexander McCall Smith from NetLibrary, and am still waitng for the 101 Dalmatians from Overdrive (this I chose really just to practice).
As someone who runs a book discussion group, I think these sites are also useful to see what people are checking out & to get previews of titles.

1 comment:

IrmBrown said...

Congrats on finishing. You've got a great blog here ... hope you'll consider dropping your thoughts in here along the way. As to timing, I understand... but we did feel some pressure to stay in step with the state who were in the driver's seat. Good job!