Friday, June 8, 2007

Before the Technology Fair

I am excited that HCPL is having a Technology Fair and have already signed up to work through MLL 2.0. I'm interested in technology in general although I confess to having neither IPOD or MP3 player, video game consoles, blackberry or laptop. I do not text message because my friends and I all phone or email each other and I have no reason to do it. This does not mean, however, that I do not see any intrinsic worth in these things and it is necessary, not just for work, but also for one's own personal growth, to keep up with what is happening in the world of technology. Things move and change so fast and we all have such busy lives that I think it is wonderful that our Library systems are helping us do this.
I have completed Week #1 and listened to the 7.5 Habits and would say that my goal is to work through 2.0 in order to become more familiar with things I already can do (blogs) and to learn to do things I do not yet do. I don't want to be left behind as far as new technologies go and I think knowing more will help when I am asked questions in the branch (by customers or other staff).
I have to remember not to get frustrated by Problems, and just work through them.
I have to remember to Play (why do I feel guilty about playing at work & it not seeming I should be).
I think the hardest thing of all will be finding Time to do this program and finding actual time when I can Focus on it and not the million other things that seem to be demanding my attention.
In my toolbox I will have friends' & colleagues' expertise, the computer & internet, digital camera, and other technologies.

No comments: