Thursday, July 12, 2007

Week 7 Fish Update, Wikis & Sandbox

Fish update. Aquarium seems to have settled down again. No recent fish deaths. May start restocking in a couple of weeks.

Thing 16. I enjoyed looking at many different Wikis. I liked the idea of a Wiki as a subject guide & as a better way to present catalog information to the public. Amazon & other such sites show the customer several reviews & offer links to other books by the same author, and offer suggestions for other titles the customer may like to read. If we could use Wiki's in our catalogs, we could offer the customer so much more than we do now. Even just having a summary of the content would be helpful to most people.
Could we use a Wiki to list our databases and links, for example on the various Zones, that way they could easily be deleted by customers if no longer viable, and customers could add other links that they thought would be of interest.
I see their value for sharing projects and documents, where everyone could edit. This may be helpful to any of our committees and teams.
I also liked the idea of the Library being the center of the community and of having a HCPL community guide to Harford County and its services, not just to the library services. This would be a central place to come to where you could find everything from books, to information on trash removal, to senior centers, to health and so on.
We should also see libraries as a world wide community and instead of reinventing the wheel, if we were all linked and could share our good/innovative/creative ideas we could look at what would work for us and be able to initiate improvements on what has worked in other systems.
I really liked the Book Lovers Wiki. I enjoyed reading the reviews and got some ideas both for my own reading and as possible material for the book group I run. Maybe this is something we could do on Reader's Place.
Thing 17. Sandbox. Keep getting an error message, still trying to add my blog to favorites. OK now I did it, you can see my blog address under Harford County.
I also created a page http://marylandlibrariessandbox.pbwiki.com/What-I-am-Reading
What I am Reading, a review of Whale Season by N.M. Kelby (2nd time I have read this and am enjoying it just as much as first time - pretty funny but wise - a good summer read).
I also linked this to the FrontPage so you will see it there also.
This was kinda fun.

1 comment:

DisFan said...

Julia...

Sorry to hear about the fish deaths. We went through that in our tank about a couple months before we moved and just like you, there was no seeming reason. We eventually chalked it up to "bad" fish. Right now we have no large fish tank, but George and Molly (the bettas) are each happy in their own small tank.