Monday, July 23, 2007

Week 8. Tutankhamun & Thing 19: Web 2.0 Awards

Last weekend I went to Philadelphia to visit the King Tutankhamun Exhibition at the Franklin Institute. Whether you have an interest in Egyptology or not, this was a superb show, very well presented and with plenty of artifacts. It was just amazing to see chairs he had sat on, to see wooden model boats from so many centuries ago, still in good condition, & to see all the gold costume jewelery and semiprecious items. The exhibition lasts until September 30th & then travels to the UK. If you get the chance to see it, please go, you will not be disappointed.

Thing 19. I had a look at biblio.com. This was a useful site but I could not find one out of print book that I was able to find in Alibris. I have had good service from them & would be most likely to check them first before other sites. I also looked at ning.com & thought this was an interesting site. Seems they are advertising a lot of positions there, so I assume this is an expanding company. It calls itself a Social Networking site, but when I went to look under that category in the awards list, I did not find it there, it was listed under Mashups. I also looked at medstory.com - I would refer a customer to medlineplus.gov, but never to a .com site, as you don't know how reliable their information is. Although it seemed Ok, when I searched for a condition it referred me to Wikipedia for an explanation of what it was. I prefer medical information to come from medical sources. As with any other websites, the awards sites may be OK for certain purposes, but as librarians I think we have to be discriminating in what we use.

No comments: